Boils (Furuncle) or Carbuncle - Home Remedies To Get Rid of Boils (Furuncle) or Carbuncle
Alternative names. Furuncle and Carbuncle
What are boils?
The boils known as furuncle in medical parlance are tender swelling in the skin surrounded by large red areas. They are infections of the sweat glands or hair follicles of the skin. They common in children and appears especially during summer season.
Information on the Symptoms of Boils.
Boils can occur anywhere on the body but they appear most often on the face, eyelids, back of the neck, upper back and buttocks. They specially favor places where clothing rubs such as the area on the collar line. Boils occurring around the eyes and nose are especially serious because their poison can spread to the brain.
Initially a painful red nodule appears on the skin. This grows in size and then breaks down in the middle for the pus to form and looks yellow under the skin. It creates a great deal of irritation and itching. There may be a single boil, or several may develop in the same area or different areas at or about the same time, or they may come in successive crops. The swellings may not be limited to one hair follicle but may extend to many follicles. There may therefore be many openings when the boils ripen and discharge. Fever may sometimes accompany the boils.
What are the Causes of Boils?
Boils are mainly caused by staphylococcus germs which enter the sweat glands or hair follicles. They can be transmitted from person to person and in fact, some live harmlessly on the skin all the time and in infected areas like cuts or pimples. The essential cause of this disorder is thus bacterial. However, several factors predispose to the growth of bacteria in hair follicle. Of these, the chief factor is a toxic condition of the blood stream due to faulty diet and wrong style of living. Boils generally appear when a person is in a run-down and devitalized condition.
to get rid of Boils (Furuncle) or Carbuncle.
Here are some common home remedy to cure boils :-
- Neem heads the list in herbal cures for boils. Grind fresh tender leaves to a fine paste and apply daily on the boil.
- Soak overnight 2-3 ripe pods of the neem fruit in a cup of water. Next morning mash the pulp add a little honey and drink this mixture. This cleanses the system from within.
- Mash 2-3 fresh garlic cloves into a paste and apply locally on the boil.
- A fresh banana leaf slightly warmed and tied over a boil relieves pain and matures the boil.
- Half a teaspoon of dried neem leaf powder, taken once a day with a glass of hot water for 5-7 days is a good internal cleanser. To make it palatable, add a teaspoon of honey to it. This helps in the cure of boils.
- Turmeric paste: Use equal parts of fresh ginger and turmeric ground together. Apply when quite warm on a boil.
- When a boil just begins, if fresh henna leaf paste is applied, it aborts the boil.
- Fenugreek seeds boiled in water, coarsely pounded, can be applied on a boil as a poultice. This helps to get rid of boils.
- Warm moist compresses should be applied three or four times a day over the tender area. This will helps to bring the boil to ripen and encourage easy drainage.
- The use of garlic and onion has proved most effective among the several home remedies found beneficial in the treatment of boils. The juice of garlic or onion may be applied externally on the boils to help ripen them and also to break them and evacuate the pus. Equal quantity of the juices of these two vegetables can also be applied with beneficial results. Helps to get rid of boils.