All Purpose Healing Salve
When you have little ones in the house, there seems to be an endless supply off boo-boos, rashes, bug bites, and itchy skin. I don’t like having a giant medicine cabinet. I like to keep things very simple, which is why I really love essential oils. I have, literally, traded my cluttered medicine cabinet with bottles and pills, over to a very minimalistic shelf with essential oils and some other holistic remedies.
My goal in creating this recipe is to minimize your medicine cabinet and prove to you that, once again, nature has given us the remedy. This all-purpose salve is good for so many things. The coconut oil and olive oil bring nourishment, while the beeswax is known to lock in moisture, foster cells, and protect skin from damaging environmental factors. For children, the BEST two essential oils to have on hand are melaleuca and lavender.
Melaleuca (tea tree oil) has a long list of beneficial properties. It reduces pain, antibacterial, anti fungal, anti-inflammatory, a strong antiseptic, and antiviral. Lavender is known as a universal oil that is extremely beneficial to helping many ailments, allergies, rashes, yeast, stretch marks, and so much more. Combine these two together and you have a powerful weapon to aid in relief.
This salve is cloth diaper safe and newborn-safe. The essential oil dosages in this recipe do not exceed the recommendations for a newborn. I highly recommend using a very safe essential oil with therapeutic benefits. Keep this salve on hand for ANYTHING….think of it as a natural Neosporin!
Here’s just a short list of what this salve is good for:
- Bee stings
- Insect bites
- Chicken Pox
- Flaky Scalp
- Cuts and Scrapes
- Fever Blister
- Chapped Lips
- Itchy Skin
- Poison Ivy
All Purpose Healing Salve
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Oil ( where to buy )
- 1/2 cup of Olive Oil ( where to buy )
- 1/4 Cup of Beeswax ( where to buy online ) – but find a local beekeeper! I got a 1 lb block for $6.99 at a local co-op!
- 1/3 Cup of Calendula Flowers ( where to buy online ) – I got it for $.50 at a local co-op!
- 15 drops of Melaleuca ( where to buy ) – add 10 drops more for older children
- 15 drops of Lavender ( where to buy ) – add 10 drops more for older children
- Put the coconut oil and olive oil in a saucepan. Melt the coconut oil if it isn’t melted already.
- Add the calendula flower petals (dried) and simmer on low for around 2 hours. Make sure to stir a few times during the process. You can also add the oil and calendula to a crockpot and put on low for up to 3 hours.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl through a cheesecloth.
- Now add the calendula oil back to the saucepan and add the beeswax. Melt the beeswax.
- Remove from heat and let cool for around 15 minutes.
- Add the essential oils and stir.
- Pour into a glass jar and store for up to a year! Makes 1 cup!
CLICK HERE to Pin this Recipe!
Please note: Products mentioned in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information on this page are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This website is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, psychological, or psychiatric problem, or a disability that requires medical attention, then you should consult your licensed medical doctor or appropriate health care provider. Always consult your medical doctor regarding your medical care. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.