Emphysema is a long term respirational lung disorder causing shortness of breath. Alveloi fills with air in the onset of this disorder and lungs expand than their normal size.
- It is also known as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- In emphysema the inner walls of the air sacs become weaker and in due course get raptured.
- Causes difficulty breathing in the sufferers.
- The other form of Emphysema is bronchitis.
- Body does not get enough oxygen when air sacs get affected due to this disorder.
- A proper emphysema management routine under the care of medical supervisor slows down the progression of this disorder but does not reverse it.
- Lung function, lab and imaging tests are used to identify the presence of this disorder.
- Smoking, age, exposure to fumes and dust and exposure to pollution are some of the common risk factors responsible for the onset of Emphysema.
Causes of Emphysema
There are several Emphysema causes that have been identified as being the major culprit of causing this disorder in majority of the patients. These include:
- Extreme exposure to airborne irritants.
- Exposure to pollution.
- Excessive smoking.
- Exposure to manufacturing fumes.
- Long term exposure to smoke of Marijuana.
- Inherited deficiencies in rare cases.
- Lack of protein alpha-1-antitrypsin that is responsible for protecting elastic structures in lungs.
Symptoms of Emphysema
There are some very common Emphysema symptoms that have been witnessed in the sufferers. The identified symptoms most commonly include:
- Shortness of breath.
- Bluish nails or lips.
- Lack of mental energy.
- Mentally not alert.
- Difficulty performing activities that involve a lot of brain use.